Tuesday 22 July 2014

My Guide to | Underwear Shopping!

Just writing the title to this post made me blush ever so slightly! I best start off by saying that the subject of underwear (and ...ahem ...similar topics) are not something I often discuss. Some might say I'm even a little old fashioned when it comes to such things as I still feel (at the old age of 20) a little uncomfortable in underwear shops or departments. I'm not too sure why I do as I absolutely adore pretty underwear sets and nothing gives me more confidence for a day than knowing I've got a lovely matching set on! (Even if I am the only one that knows!) It somehow makes me feel like I have my life in order when my underwear matches - I hope that's not just me ... anyone?

Until just over a year ago I avoided all specific underwear shops, full stop. No exceptions. I just wasn't comfortable being asked by the lovely shop assistants - "Are you okay there?" or "what is it you're looking for today?" - as I wasn't one hundred percent sure of the answer to either. Until one day, whilst shopping in the Bullring I saw the cutest underwear set (or at least the cutest that I had seen up until then) beautifully displayed in the shop window and decided that I had to go in! Of course, I felt utterly uncomfortable but braved it anyway to get my hands on the cute pink set in the window. Since then I have grown to love underwear shopping and have developed a few top tips of how to feel happy and clued up to buy underwear, so thought I would share them with you just in case anyone feels the same way too!

My Top Tips

1. Know what you're looking for
I know that this made sound fairly simple but this was the biggest break through for me. When I first went in to Boux Avenue for the pretty pink set I knew what I wanted - the one in the window. If you know what you are roughly after you can ask for it if you can't find it and you can easily navigate to the section of the shop or department that you're after. The easiest way to know what you're looking for is to have a browse on the internet first.

2. Try them on in a few sizes 
As tempting as it can be to just pick up your usual size and save the hassle of trying a few sizes of bra on, I would recommend you always do so. The sizes vary from shop to shop so much that if you want it to be comfortable and worth the money, it's definitely worth a few minutes to just try them on.

3. If you want a fitting - get one! It will be worth it
If no matter how hard you try, you can't find a bra that fits, it's definitely worth getting a fitting. Boux Avenue are great for this. I would however recommend that you know if you do or don't want to have a fitting before you go so you can be firm if you don't want one!! Or take up the opportunity easily if you do. It's far less embarrassing than you probably think.

4. Take somebody with you
Whether it's your mum, daughter, sister or best friend, it's such a great idea to take someone with you. I feel so much more comfortable having a chat with my sister whilst deciding which underwear set I like most - plus it means the shop assistants are a little bit less likely to keep asking you questions

5. Have a browse
It may not seem like a usual thing to do to browse for a while but it's just what you do in every other shop so why not! There's often little extras like cute pyjamas to have a look at too - or even bikinis if you're feeling brave! Remember the shop assistants are just trying to sell you stuff, not make you feel uncomfortable - say you're 'just looking'!

So I thought I'd end by telling you my top three places to shop for underwear. I myself am a smaller size (34B/Size10)  in underwear and as such can't overly comment on how well structured the bra's are or whether they fit well for those wanting bigger sizes, however two out of my top three places do most certainly stock a wide range of cup and back sizes so it's worth having a browse!


I do have the matching pants to all of these but I thought I'd just show the patterns/styles! ☺
Top two are from Tesco (£8 each)
Bottom three are from Boux Avenue (£18-£26)

1. Boux Avenue
This is by far my favourite place to shop for underwear. They have super cute sets and bring out new ranges often so there's always something new to have a look at. Their changing rooms are adorable and even have different lighting levels (if you do so wish to try them out). I often go for the 'no lights' to show me at my best (har har har *posh laugh*). I shop at the Birmingham store and have always found the staff to be very friendly and helpful without interfering too much - you can go and try on what you want in the fitting rooms without being forced into a compulsory bra fitting that you most certainly did not want! The other bonus of Boux Avenue is that the sets more often than not have the choice of a full brief or a thong. I personally prefer the brief style bottoms for an underwear set and struggle to find pretty sets in some shops that offer that option. If you're looking for pretty underwear this is certainly the place to go, but maybe not so much if you're a plain underwear person who isn't fussed of frills - although they do have some pretty good multiway and strapless bra's too.I've bought sets from around £20 a set to £50 here depending on what offers and sales are on at the time, so there's quite a range of prices but I would say they are a nodding towards the higher end of the price scale.
(They do a good range of sizes here!)
p.s they also do a points card (a bit like Boots) so you can get money off once you've saved up some points. Make sure you sign up if you do shop here so you don't miss out - it's the VIP card and it's free to get. Don't miss out on 10% off if you're student, like me, too.

2. Topshop
Topshop is my favourite place for pants (or knickers as you may call them!). I am not so much of a fan of the bra's as they seem to prefer the bralet style which I don't personally find very comfortable. But for frilly pretty pants these are top notch. And they're always on offer either 3 for £10/£8 or something similar meaning it doesn't cost too much to get a nice set. The little extra that has meant Topshop has made it into my top three is the the cartoon print boxer style pants that they do too. I do prefer frilly pretty pairs but I also have some pink 'Moomin' pants from here too which I adore. (I would have posted a picture but I believe they are in the wash - oops!). It's just bog standard Topshop sizes on offer in the underwear section, so if you normally shop at Topshop you should easily find your size.

3. Tesco
Yep, thats right, Tesco have an absolutely brilliant range of underwear in a whole host of sizes. Not all styles are available in all sizes but I have seen some gorgeous sets which have been. This is probably the easiest place to buy underwear from too as no one bothers you one bit! You're free to look round as you please and try them on - you can even pay at the self service tills if you wish to! They also have the brief style (bikini style I think it's called) similar to Boux Avenue available to buy with the pretty sets which is super handy if you're not a thong type of girl! (As I'm not!) In the picture above I have two of my prettiest sets from here and at £8 a bra and £4 for pants, I haven't found anywhere that's better value for money either.

Of course there's lots of lovely underwear sets on offer in the likes of M&S, BHS and Debenhams, but I thought I'd just tell you about my top three places!

 I hope you've enjoyed my post and it's perhaps helped you out in some way. If it has I'd love to know, so please leave a comment below ☺

Lots of love and bye for now,

Little Vintage Rose

♥ xx

No comments:

Post a Comment