Thursday 24 July 2014

Best Body Scrub for Sensitive Skin

   


My pot of 'Along came Betty' body polish has been my beauty saviour this summer. I've always had sensitive skin and every time I'd shave my legs I'd end up with stinging little red dots all over them which is less than ideal when usually the purpose of shaving my legs was to wear a dress or skirt without tights! 

I decided to google and see if any other bloggers had had the same problem and had come up with a solution. I switched to sensitive shavers and sensitive shaving foam but this didn't help at all. I then tried  using men's aftershave for sensitive skin (this was in fact my boyfriends suggestion!) as the whole point of that is to reduce the irritation of shaving for men so I thought it was worth a try! I couldn't actually find a similar thing for women but maybe there is something - does anyone know of an aftershave for women at all? I'd love to know if there are some! At first this did help and I used it all last summer. It made my legs sting a little (even using alcohol free ones) but prevented red dots and made my legs silky smooth! But unfortunately about October last year it stopped having the same effect and my sensitive skin flared up again. 

Just in case anyone is wondering I had previously tried hair removal creams and waxing but these left me with even worse rashes than shaving - so I really was running out of options! 

At this point I turned back to google and spent endless evenings trying to find what other girls with sensitive skin did to stop unsightly rashes after shaving. I then found an article about the importance of exfoliating and moisturising every time you shave - simple I know, and maybe I should have been doing this all along, but I just didn't realise what a difference it could make. So inspired by my findings I nipped to the shops and bought a body scrub and moisturiser straight away to try it out! Of course the solution couldn't be that simple (it never is with such things is it?!) and both the body scrub and moisturiser made my shaving rash even worse. As you can imagine I was beginning to feel rather fed up by this point and wasn't sure what else to do. 

I must admit I sort of gave up for a few weeks until my mum suggested moisturising with plain, unscented E45 cream (as this is what she always used when I was little for my sensitive skin). I thought I didn't have much to lose so bought some and inspired by the idea of using natural, simple products I went on the hunt for a natural body scrub! I didn't fancy paying the earth for one as I knew I'd have to use it every other day and wouldn't be able to afford to keep spending a lot of money on a new tub/bottle all the time so I was fairly limited with where I could look. It seems there are a few natural body scrubs out there, but they come with a hefty price tag. 

As usual Tesco came to the rescue with this fab body polish that contains natural ingredients including salt and sugar (for the scrubby bits) and apricot (to make it smell absolutely delicious)! It doesn't aggravate my skin and prevents little red dots forming after I shave too! Hallelujah! And at just £6 a pot, which lasts for ages (I've had mine two months and it's still half full) it's great value too. Team it up with moisturising with E45 cream (intense recovery for sensitive skin) after a shower or bath and voila! Smooth silky legs without a rash - even for super sensitive skin! If you have similar problems when shaving I cannot recommend it enough! The E45 cream is good too but I'm sure there are a few good unscented body lotions that would also be more than equal to the job and these are more easy to find at good prices in drugstores or supermarkets. 

My extra tip for super super silky smooth legs is to exfoliate, shave and then exfoliate and shave again! This helps to prevent ingrowing hairs and bring them to the surface so you can shave them off on the second go! It's best not to do it everytime you shave as it can dry sensitive skin out a bit, but it's good to know for when you need extra smooth legs in the summer! 

I hope you've perhaps found my post useful if you've had similar shaving issues! Let me know any of your top tips in the comments too as I'd love to know if there's anything else I should try out 😊 

Lots of love, 

Little Vintage Rose 

Xx 



No comments:

Post a Comment