Wednesday 13 August 2014

Dream big, little one



I'm afraid this isn't a beauty review or my newest pretty dress post as I'm feeling rather philosophical this evening (if that's the right word to desrcibe this). With my exams fast approaching I find my evenings thoughts wandering to all the things I'd love to do and achieve (in my revision breaks of course...promise) and also taking a little time to think about all the things I have achieved. 

I'm not sure if I'm the only one but I often find it very difficult to see all the things I've done for myself over the years and how much I've actually accomplished, especially when I'm rather bogged down in the latest challenge heading my way. 

Passing a-levels, learning to drive, getting my first full time job and working through my uni degree are all things I take for granted as if I should just do them. We all achieve so many things and are often even praised by others for them, but I believe it's very few of us who stand back and be proud of what we've done. 

I could list forever all the things that people may or may not have done, as everyone is different. (What have you done that you're proud of? Let me know in the comments :)) I find that difficult to comprehend sometimes too. We don't all achieve the same things, but nor do we have the same goals, wants or ambitions in life and as such we're all on our own little paths towards what we see as the light at the end of our own tunnel. It's important to remember this - 'Comparison is, afterall, the thief of joy'. 

My thoughts that brought me round to these musings started with thinking about how I deal with my exams, so I'll leave you with my starting thoughts; when I sit at my desk with the paper I front of me, in those few precious moments before I can start the exam, it always, to me, feels like some sort of eye of a storm - a moment amidst the stresses of revision and exams in which there is nothing more than me and that paper. No one is going to do it for me. Some sort of magic isn't going to happen. Nor will sheer adrenalin get me through. I have to answer the paper. Me. And whatever anyone else around me writes doesn't matter one bit to my results and where I can go from there. 

I feel this is a perspective we should all apply to many aspects of our lives. We have to achieve things for ourselves, regardless of what others appear to be achieving around us. 

Remember - only believe half of what you see others doing, and none of what they tell you. They may only have the best of intentions rather than the courage to act. 

Dream big, little one. 

Lots of love, 

Little Vintage Rose 

Xx 

2 comments:

  1. I think I take some of my accomplishments for granted too. Thanks for sharing!

    thecollectionofknowledge.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post, I don't think I've ever really given myself credit for my achievements, but maybe we all should! Best of luck with your exams!

    Rebecca x

    Rebecca Kate

    ReplyDelete